Welcome to MJ's Bakery!

I make everything from scratch using fresh, quality ingredients. No additives, no hydrogenated oils, no funny stuff. You can't beat real hand-made goodness. Check out the products page for a full list of yummy desserts available. Contact me to discuss your needs, big and small! I am located in the Kansas City metro area, and am happy to meet with you and deliver your product to you anywhere in the area. Thank you for considering me for all your sweet tooth desires!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Snickerdoodles



To be honest, I was never really a snickerdoodle person. I always thought sugar a little dull, and wasn't a huge cinnamon person either. But ever since we started dating, my husband has bugged me to make them for him. Now, 7+ years later, I finally did. And he didn't really like these, go figure.


I started with this recipe: Snickerdoodles, and converted to weight measures. I doubled the batch, added 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the dough, and did 1/2 cup sugar to the 2 tsp cinnamon in the topping. I barely got 3 dozen out of the double batch, which was odd even though I do large cookies. I have to say, they were really tasty, but not quite what I expected. The cookie itself was nice and moist and chewy, but I didn't get quite the crackle from the topping that I expected. They also spread out a lot, ending up rather thin. This stumped me a bit, because I didn't even flatten them and I baked them chilled, which prevents spread. So why didn't I get the puffy beauties pictured there? Not sure. I plan on making them again, probably with a few alterations.

Snickerdoodles
Adapted from JoyOfBaking.com

22 oz Flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 lb Butter
24 oz Sugar (1 lb 8 oz)
4 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla

Topping:
1/2 c Sugar
2 tsp Cinnamon

This recipe uses the Creaming Method. For pictures and details, check out Chocolate Chip Cookies.

In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter until smooth, then add the sugar and beat till light and fluffy. Scrape bowl.


Above: Beaten butter. Below: Creamed butter and sugar



Beat together the eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, then add slowly drizzle into the butter mixture with the mixer on low. Scrape bowl.


Above: With egg added. Below: Finished dough. 


Mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add to the mixer in stages, allowing the previous addition to incorporate before adding more. Mix until you have a smooth dough. If it's too soft, refrigerate for a bit until it firms up. Portion the dough out with a disher, I used my large Oxo cookie scoop but that did seem a bit big, I'd try their medium size or a #40 disher. Roll into balls and coat with the topping mixture.



I then froze my dough, and did not flatten it. I baked it at 400 degrees for 15 min, rotating halfway through. Pull them out when they are golden brown around the edges but still soft in the middle. Cool on a wire rack, or on wax/parchment paper on a counter.



Tasty, sweet and cinnamony. Will definitely try again.


No comments:

Post a Comment